The University of Hong Kong
The University of Hong Kong was founded in 1911. After the end of the Second World War, the university reopened and investment in law and the social sciences increased as post-war reconstruction efforts began in earnest, ranking 27th in the world overall and 3rd globally for our international outlook.
The University of Hong Kong has educated many notable alumni in many varied fields. Among them is Dr Sun Yat-sen, the founder of modern China, Dr. Stanley Ho Hung-sun. GBS. OBE, Macanese business magnate, "The King of Gambling" and Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, Nobel Peace laureate and State Counsellor of Myanmar.
The Main Building is the oldest structure on the HKU Main Campus. This Edwardian Baroque-style building was designed by Alfred Bryer of Leigh & Orange. Construction began in 1910. The building was a gift from Sir Hormusjee N. Mody, a distinguished Parsi businessman and land developer in Hong Kong. "Mody Road" in Tsimshatsui bears his name.
During its early days the Main Building housed all departments of the University, including administrative offices, lecture rooms, a library, a clinic, and even a temporary student hostel.
st john's college
St. John’s College was founded in 1912 and it was the first residential hall in the University.
From its establishment St. John’s College shoulders the banner “Breeds the Excellent”. Through these many years we have thus nurtured many of Hong Kong’s leaders in government, industry and commerce, culture and education.
A green oasis in Western District, including plenty of trees, with public facilities and open spaces
Much-improved interaction between "town and gown" – the University and the people of Hong Kong, through facilities and welcoming open spaces
A catalyst for international academic engagement, attracting international partnership and serving Hong Kong as Asia's world city